If you have Sirius/XM, you can listen to Greg Bell's Old time radio channel (#82). He has a number of great programs available throughout the month of December on his great show. You can also get a large number of these programs at a variety or resources on the web. One place to find these shows is the 500 OTR Christmas Shows from the Internet Archive. This is a great resources for many of these wonderful radio shows!
Antique Postcard of the NBC Radio Studios in Hollywood, California
I have been a very big fan of Nero Wolfe on the radio (and the stories). This series aired on the NBC Network and featured the great actor Sydney Greenstreet as Nero Wolfe. Greenstreet played Signor Ferrari in Casablanca, probably my favorite movie ever. Greenstreet does a masterful job as the robust detective. Playing Archie Goodwin, Nero Wolfe's trusted assistant and 'man in the field' were five different actors in the relatively short run: Wally Maher, Lamont Johnson, Herb Ellis, Lawrence (Larry) Dobkin, Gerald Mohr, and Harry Bartell. Listening to these episodes are a great treat.
The Christmas episode aired on December 22, 1950 and was called "The Case Of The Slaughtered Santas". Joining Greenstreet and Larry Dobkin as Archie Goodwin were Howard McNear, Jeanne Bates, Herb Butterfield, William Johnstone, with Don Stanley as the announcer. In the story, the Wolfe household is disturbed by a call from Santa Claus right before Christmas. He called Nero Wolfe to get protection as he was one of four charity Santas who worked a corner. Only two of them were killed - and the caller was convinced he was next. So it is up to Nero Wolfe to find out who is killing the sidewalk Santas. And why were they being killed? He does not disappoint...he never does! Here is a link right to the episode:
- Nero Wolfe radio program episodes via the Internet Archive
- Nero Wolfe on the Radio - great information from Digital Deli
- Nero Wolfe on Jerry Haendiges Vintage Radio Logs
- Great Detectives of Old Time Radio - Nero Wolfe
- Nero Wolfe & Archie Goodwin (Thrilling Detective)
- The Wolfe Pack - From their site: "The Wolfe Pack is a forum to discuss, explore and enjoy the 73 Nero Wolfe books and novellas. The organization promotes fellowship and extends friendship to those who enjoy these great literary works of mystery through a series of events, book discussions, and a journal devoted to study of the genius detective, Nero Wolfe, and his intrepid assistant, Archie Goodwin."
- See also 500 OTR Christmas Shows from the Internet Archive.
25 Days of Old Time Radio Christmas: