If you have Sirius/XM, you can listen to Greg Bell's Old time radio channel (#82). He has a number of great programs available throughout the month of December on his great show. You can also get a large number of these programs at a variety or resources on the web. One place to find these shows is the 500 OTR Christmas Shows from the Internet Archive. This is a great resources for many of these wonderful radio shows!
Old Radios on Display at John Wayne Airport (Orange County, California), July 2012
Tales of the Texas Rangers is a great crime series that ran on NBC from July 8, 1950 through September 14, 1952. While many might classify this as a western, it really is a straight up crime series. The show stars Joel McCrea as Texas Ranger Jayce Pearson. All of the cases were reenactments of real Texas Ranger cases. The series was directed by Stacy Keach, Sr. and is one of the best crime series on old time radio. It has the feel of the series This is Your FBI, the long running series that recreated true FBI cases. Maybe I will try to get their Christmas episodes on one of these links.
In these two episodes, Ranger Jayce Pearson solves the impossible with these two horrible Christmas time crimes. In Christmas Present (December 24, 1950), two very unlikely men rob a bank in the middle of the day, right before Christmas. Typically, Santas are not armed and do not try to rob a bank. Not only did these two Santas think they were getting away with a massive haul, an innocent man was jailed while the Rangers worked to solve the case. But some lucky breaks and a dab of paint helped Jayce Pearson solve the crime and set everything straight.
Christmas Present (December 24, 1950)
In Christmas Payoff (December 23, 1951), misguided revenge does in a respected town doctor on Christmas Day. Being a small town doctor means working when people are sick, be it on their birthday, the 4th of July or Christmas. When wrapping up a patient who needed the doctor's help on Christmas, a nurse notices a man stalking the Doctor's office. The stalking man had a bandaged hand that had a surprise for the doctor. Sadly, he would not see the 26th. Ranger Jayce Pearson is called in and starts working on the crime right on Christmas. He connects to dots and ends up with a tremendous Christmas Payoff.
Christmas Payoff (December 23, 1951)
Christmas Payoff (December 23, 1951)
Here are some links to programs relating to Tales Of The Texas Rangers:
- Tales Of The Texas Rangers radio program episodes via the Internet Archive
- Tales Of The Texas Rangers radio program episodes via the Internet Archive (alternative)
- Tales Of The Texas Rangers on Jerry Haendiges Vintage Radio Logs
- Tales Of The Texas Rangers information on the Digital Deli
- Tales Of The Texas Rangers information on the Wikipedia
- See also 500 OTR Christmas Shows from the Internet Archive.
- Christmas Scripts at Generic Radio Workshop - no they are not from Abbot and Costello!
25 Days of Old Time Radio Christmas:
- All Entries
- Day 1 - Nick Carter's Christmas Adventure
- Day 2 - The Saint is No Santa Claus
- Day 3 - Stolen Rings at Christmas with Boston Blackie
- Day 4 - Dragnet's Christmas Episodes
- Day 5 - Nero Wolfe & the Slaughtered Santas
- Day 6 - The Plot To Murder Santa Claus (with Frank Sinatra as Rocky Fortune)
- Day 7 - Christmas at Mission San Gabriel with Romance of the Ranchos
- Day 8 - Arch Oboler's Christmas 1918
- Day 9 - The Story of Silent Night (Hallmark Playhouse)
- Day 10 - Juggler of Notre Dame (with Nelson Eddy)
- Day 11 - Candy Matson's Christmas Episodes
- Day 12 - Lionel Barrymore's Mayor of the Town
- Day 13 - More Radio Adaptations of a Christmas Carol
- Day 14 - Tales Of The Texas Rangers (not those Rangers)