If you have Sirius/XM, you can listen to Greg Bell's Old time radio channel (#82). I heard this for the first time on Greg Bell's XM 82 and always love the variety he plays. He has a number of great programs available throughout the month of December on his great show. You can also get a large number of these programs at a variety or resources on the web. One place to find these shows is the 500 OTR Christmas Shows from the Internet Archive. This is a great resources for many of these wonderful radio shows!
CBS Columbia Square, home of the CBS Radio Workshop
(Hollywood, Los Angeles, California) - October 31, 2013
CBS Radio was the home of some of the most innovative programs on radio. From the Columbia Workshop days and Norman Corwin, right through the end of big-time programs Gunsmoke and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar, CBS Radio was the innovation leader over the air. In 1956, CBS returned to the airways with a program that would cement their network as the home for innovation. And this all happening while television was growing in popularity and affordability in the mid-1950s.
Starting in January 1956, the CBS Radio Workshop would be on the air for 86 episodes through September 1957. The CBS Radio Workshop was designed not to be commercially lucrative, but to find a place where the network could put on cutting edge works that might not match with a sponsor's goals. As was said on every episode, the CBS Radio Workshop was "dedicated to man's imagination, the theater of the mind." I have a number of pieces that I want to showcase in the coming months, including The Storm, Light Ship, and numerous others.
On December 23, 1956, the only Christmas episode of the CBS Radio Workshop aired. The piece was a accounting of how the song "Silent Night" came into being. The story takes place on a cruise ship sailing on Christmas Eve, and a famous Austrian conductor interrupts the playing of Silent Night on the ship. It was being played extravagantly, when in reality it was a simple and modest song. While he is called up to lead the orchestra in this famous song, he embarks on telling the story on how the song was written and how it became popular. He then leads the group in a performance the way that it was intended to be played. Like with all CBS Radio Workshop episodes, the quality of the broadcast is excellent, as are the production values.
All is Bright (December 23, 1956)
Here are some links to programs relating to CBS Radio Workshop:
- CBS Radio Workshop episodes via the Internet Archive
- CBS Radio Workshop episodes via the Internet Archive (alternative)
- CBS Radio Workshop on Jerry Haendiges Vintage Radio Logs
- CBS Radio Workshop information via the Digital Deli
- CBS Radio Workshop Episode Log from the RadioGOLINdex
- Also visit 500 OTR Christmas Shows from the Internet Archive.
- Christmas Scripts at Generic Radio Workshop - no they are not from Abbot and Costello!
25 Days of Old Time Radio Christmas:
- All Entries
- Day 1 - Nick Carter's Christmas Adventure
- Day 2 - The Saint is No Santa Claus
- Day 3 - Stolen Rings at Christmas with Boston Blackie
- Day 4 - Dragnet's Christmas Episodes
- Day 5 - Nero Wolfe & the Slaughtered Santas
- Day 6 - The Plot To Murder Santa Claus (with Frank Sinatra as Rocky Fortune)
- Day 7 - Christmas at Mission San Gabriel with Romance of the Ranchos
- Day 8 - Arch Oboler's Christmas 1918
- Day 9 - The Story of Silent Night (Hallmark Playhouse)
- Day 10 - Juggler of Notre Dame (with Nelson Eddy)
- Day 11 - Candy Matson's Christmas Episodes
- Day 12 - Lionel Barrymore's Mayor of the Town
- Day 13 - More Radio Adaptations of a Christmas Carol
- Day 14 - Tales Of The Texas Rangers (not those Rangers)
- Day 15 - Christmas in Connecticut (with Ronald Reagan)
- Day 16 - Holidays with Connie - Our Miss Brooks
- Day 17 - The Whistler's Christmas Episodes
- Day 18 - Detroit's WXYZ & The Lone Ranger
- Day 19 - Johnny Dollar and the Nick Shurn Matter
- Day 20 - Christmas Shopping with Jack Benny
- Day 21 - Gunsmoke's Christmas Story
- Day 22 - Bob Hope's Christmas Shows
- Day 23 - Christmas with Mel Blanc
- Day 24 - Bing Crosby's Christmas Shows
- Day 25 - Elgin Watch Christmas Specials
- Day 26 - Five Days Off For Christmas with Night Beat
- Day 27 - Let George Do It Christmas Episodes
- Day 28 - CBS Radio Workshop's All is Bright