|Who's on First?|
Somerset Patriots 3, Sugar Land Skeeters 1 (Atlantic League)
(Bridgewater Township (Somerset County), New Jersey - Saturday August 9, 2014)
As a kid growing up, Sunday morning at 11:30 on WPIX (Channel 11 in NYC) was a special time. Every Sunday, they showed an Abbott and Costello movie. These were always 90 minutes - and always hilarious. I just loved watching these movies and made it a regular ritual. So I have long been a huge fan of these two comedy greats. And naturally, I am a huge fan of Who's on First.
On April 17, 1947, the Abbott and Costello Show (which was running on NBC and sponsored by Camel cigarettes - the one doctor's recommend. The show opens when Lou Costello receives a telegram from Joe Dimaggio. He was begging Costello to suit up for the New York Yankees since he was not feeling great. Though Dimaggio would win the MVP that year for the World Champion Yankees, he felt he needed an all-star to be in the lineup for him.
The script featured the quick witty banter between the two featured players. The program ends with "Who's on First". It is one of a few that you can find via old time radio (and one of two that I will feature in this series). But what is great is that they have great fun early on with other ballplayer names including Bob Feller and Enos Slaughter (two great Hall of Famers). Its lots of fun, I hope to listen to Abbott try to explain how Cleveland can have only on "Feller" pitching for the Indians. Abbott and Costello were joined by Skinnay Ennis (who sings "Linda) and Marilyn Maxwell (who sings "New Orleans" and acts in one of the skits).
I hope you enjoy this great episode.
Here are some links to programs relating to Abbott and Costello:
- Abbott and Costello radio program episodes via the Internet Archive
- Abbott and Costello radio program episodes via the Internet Archive (alternative)
- Abbott and Costello on Jerry Haendiges Vintage Radio Logs
- Abbott and Costello fan site
- Who's on First (from the Wikipedia)
- Who's on First Script (from the Abbott and Costello Fan Club)
- Abbott and Costello movies from IMDB
- Abbott and Costello on the Wikipedia
- Episode 1: Baseball Murder on 'The Saint' with Vincent Price
- Episode 2: The Day That Baseball Died from the Columbia Workshop
- Episode 3: Baseball and Gambling from Boston Blackie
- Episode 4: The Baseball Instructor with Fibber McGee and Molly (1935)
- Episode 5: The Red Stockings from Cavalcade of America
- Episode 6: The Baseball Uniform Shortage from Our Miss Brooks
- Episode 7: Damon Runyon Theater's Baseball Hattie
- Episode 8: Gunsmoke's Ball Nine, Take Your Base
- Episode 9: Abbott and Costello's Who's on First
- Greg Bell's Old time radio channel on Sirius/XM Radio (#148)
Other Old Time Radio Series by Corey